- Sole Practitioner
I entered the practice of law with the goal of helping my clients to obtain the results they desire. However, I did not originally appreciate that we, and more specifically my clients, don’t always know what we want. Now, after 23 years of working as a lawyer, I have gained the knowledge and insight needed to help my clients and me to determine their goals and then how to achieve them. As a young lawyer, I was no holds barred, and win at all costs. Now, as a more mature attorney, I am better able to counsel my clients to establish appropriate goals and develop a strong strategy to reach those objectives. I consider all of the needs and issues of my clients as a global person and not merely a client with a single interest of a particular litigation. I take the time needed to listen carefully and completely to what my client is saying and often what they are failing to say. I often give advice to clients that does not require formal litigation. At other times, I recommend litigation because that is what is needed.
I attended Tate High School in Cantonment, Florida where I graduated. I then attended Pensacola Junior College, now Pensacola State College where I studied government and prepared for Florida State University. I graduated from the Florida State University (go Noles) in 1988. While at Florida State, I participated in an internship program and developed a weekly reporting procedure. The Dean of the Political Science Department, at FSU, later adopted features of my reports and made them a standard requirement for all students that followed.
At Florida State University I was fortunate enough to participate in the following:
Member, FSU Political Science Department Policy Planning Committee
President, Pi Sigma Alpha - The International Political Science Honor Society
Vice President, The Political Science Association
Chairman, Political Science Student Grade Appeals Board
I worked for a couple of years before Law School. I was employed by the Florida Republican Party as a researcher. I later worked as a Legislative Aide to a Florida State House Member, Robert Harden, in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. I also worked as a Legislative Analyst for the Senate Minority (Republican) Office in the Florida Capital. As a Legislative Analyst, I researched proposed laws, wrote summaries of the laws and disseminated my evaluations to the minority members of the Florida Senate.
I started Law School in 1989 at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock where Bill Clinton would soon run for President. While President Clinton and I don’t agree on many issues, we both agree that he did an outstanding job as Governor of Arkansas, and as an adjunct professor at my law school, to promote legal education in Arkansas. I graduated in 1992.
While at Law School I was fortunate enough to participate in:
Elected Student Body President for the Law School in 1990
Elected Chief Justice of the Honor Court for Law School 1991
Elected Class Representative for first year of Law School 1989
Member of the Pi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
I opened my first legal office in Little Rock, AR in 1992. While there, I became Legal Counsel for the state for the Arkansas State Jaycees. I also created a television program through cooperation with a local minority television station. The purpose of the show was to educate the public on legal issues and the legal system. I would interview various guest to describe what they do, such as the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Arkansas. I brought other guest to help me teach areas of the law, like family law, custody, personal injury, land lord and tenant disputes among other things.
Solo Practice Attorney concentrating in Family Law
Arkansas Law Talk with David Carroll - Television Program
Legal Counsel - State of Arkansas Jaycees.
I returned to my hometown of Pensacola in 1994 to start a legal practice here. I love Pensacola, and found that this is where I belong, this is where I am attached, this is where I want to live. I passed the Florida Bar in 1995 and opened my practice that same year. I have worked as a solo practice attorney concentrating in family law issues for my entire career. I firmly believe that people are “wired” to be stronger in some areas rather than others. I happen to be wired for family law, my brother is wired by accounting and numbers. You are likely wired a certain way. I am a family law attorney.
In Florida I have participated in:
Solo Practice Attorney concentrating in Family Law
Department of Revenue Child Support Attorney
Supreme Court approved mediation training (Completed)
Supreme Court approved Parenting Coordinator Training (Completed)
Guardian Ad Litem Training (Completed)
Participated in developing the Attorney Guardian Litem program in our area
Attorney Guardian Ad Litem Training (Completed)
Attorney Guardian Ad Litem Training (Instructed)
Participated developing the Standing Pre-Trial Order in Family Law Cases.
Member, Escambia County Equity Study Commission 1995
Member, Escambai County Solid Waste Citizen Advisory Commission 1995
Member, Escambia/Santa Rosa Bar Association
Co-Race Director: Liberty Ride - For Escambia/Santa Rosa Bar Association, raising funds for the Guardian Ad Litem program.
Member, Family Law Division of the Florida
I entered the practice of law to help. My actions speak for me. Let my actions speak for you to. Give me a call today.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law 60%
- Divorce & Mediation
- Mediation & Collaborative Law
- Dependency 20%
- Probate/Wills 10%
- Personal Injury 10%
- Florida, 1995
- Arkansas, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Arkansas, 1992
- U.S. District Court Western District of Arkansas, 1992
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock School of Law, Little Rock, Arkansas
- J.D. - 1992
- Honors: Elected Student Body President for the Law School in 1990
- Honors: Elected Chief Justice of the Honor Court for Law School 1991
- Honors: Elected Class Representative for first year of Law School 1989
- Honors: Member of the Pi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
- B.S. Political Science - 1988
- Honors: Member, FSU Political Science Department Policy Planning Committee
- Honors: President, Pi Sigma Alpha - The International Political Science Honor Society
- Honors: Vice President, The Political Science Association
- Honors: Chairman, Political Science Student Grade Appeals Board
- Minor: Communications
- Attorney Guardian Ad Litem, Escambia Santa Rosa Bar Association
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Bar Association, Member, 1995 to Present
- Escambia/Santa Rosa Bar Association, Member, 1995 to Present
- Department of Revenue Child Support Attorney
- Family Law Division of the Florida, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Florida Senate Republican Office, Legislative Analyst, 1988 to 1989
- Republican Pary of Florida, Researcher, 1987 to 1988
- Florida State House Member, Robert Harden, in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, Legislative Aide
Pro Bono Activities
- Member, Escambia County Equity Study Commission, 1995
- Member, Escambai County Solid Waste Citizen Advisory Commission, 1995
- Co-Race Director: Liberty Ride - For Escambia/Santa Rosa Bar Association, raising funds for the Guardian Ad Litem program